Welcome to our Urban Kitchen, where we will be sharing our recipes, stories and photos of the delicious meals we make! We'd like to invite you to join us on our food journey, get inspired to create your own meals and share in the love of food. Dig in and enjoy!
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Merry Christmas! We made some holiday favorites this weekend, Gingersnaps, Pecan Cups, and Double Chocolate Peppermint Bark- all taste tested and approved, so rest easy, if you make these cookies Santa will surely give you what you asked for this year!
Pecan Cup Cookies
1/2 C. chopped pecans
3/4 C. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch salt
1/4 C. butter
1-3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 C. flour
- Spray 24 count mini muffin pan with Pam or the like.
- Cream butter and cheese, add flour, and blend well.
- Divide into quarters. Then divide each half into quarters.
- Make a small ball and drop into pan, fit each ball to cup.
- Fill each cup w/ filling, do not overfill, you should see the crust
- Then bake at 350 F for 17 minutes. Then at 250 F for 10 minutes.
- Knock pan to loosen, do not cool in pan.
- Place on cooling rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar
yeild: 24 Cups
1 C. sugar
3/4 C. margarine, softened (you can use butter)
1/4 C. molasses
2 C. flour
2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
- Lightly grease cookie sheets
- Combine first 4 ingredients; blend well
- Stir in remaining ingredients
- Chill dough
- Heat oven to 375 F
- Shape dough into 1" balls, roll in sugar
- Place 2" apart on cookie sheet
- Bake 8-10 minutes; cool 1-2 minutes
Yeild: 6 dozen cookies
Double Chocolate Peppermint Bark
1 pound Dark Chocolate
1 pound White Chocolate
1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract (divided)
6 Candy Canes, crushed
- Line a jelly roll pan ( or 12 1/2 x 17 1/2 x 1 edge) with parchment paper
- Place candy canes in a plastic bag, crush in to 1/4-inch chunks or smaller
- Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler, stir in ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- Pour mixture evenly onto prepared pan and place in the freezer to harden
- Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler, stir in 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- Pour mixture onto dark chocolate layer in cookie sheet, spread evenly quickly and top with candy canes
- Place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until firm
- Remove from cookie sheet and break into pieces (like peanut brittle)